Friday 22 July 2016

Meetup.com group now closed

So that was an interesting experiment - we ran the meetup.com group for just over a year, and had quite a few people come through the door... but hardly anyone came for more than one visit, and in the end it was just costing too much money with seemingly little effect.

For anyone who did use the Meetup.com group to keep up-to-date with the Zen group, my apologies... I'll be maintaining this website of course, and I hope you'll find everything you need here.

I'm always curious about how best to promote the Zen group... how do you let people know it's there, that it's an option, and about what Zen is... but not come across as some sort of zealot or missionary?! My next plan is to try a Facebook group - the national StoneWater sangha has a Facebook presence at www.facebook.com/stonewaterzensangha, which has a few hundred 'followers'. For those of you who might be interested in the ongoing saga of promoting a Zen group in a town that doesn't seem too interested in Zen, I'll keep you updated :-)


5 comments:

  1. This is Northampton not San Francisco !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! You say that like's a bad thing?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zen Practice - the form - bowing - chanting - posture - sutra study etc - is a rather rarified practice and will only attract those already familiar with it - while people (ie those who know nothing about Zen but are interested in meditation)who come just once find it to much ! thus the success of secular mindfulness groups - if the Zen form was simplified perhaps they would keep coming - I hope I have not caused any offence

      Delete
    2. Not at all, don't worry! I sort of agree with your explanation, but I think each of the aspects of Zen practice - with zazen at its core - have value. I think if Zen practice was simplified too much, then it would be indistinguishable from secular meditation groups. There's nothing wrong with secular meditation groups, mind - but Zen practice is something a bit different.
      _/|\_

      Delete
    3. Thanks for reply - I agree entirely - would be interested to hear on what aspects you think could be simplified - It's all about getting people to think - Yes I'll go back again to this group again - there's something there that appeals.
      Kind regards - Anonymous

      Delete